Your child’s head is in safe hands
The neurosurgery team at Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota is committed to improving the quality of life for children with brain tumors, epilepsy and related conditions. We’re in constant pursuit of techniques, technology and training to make surgery safer and more effective. And because we know that caring matters, we’re here for your child and family every step of the way.
Our neurosurgery team is made up of several types of dedicated professionals:
- Pediatric neurosurgeons have completed a residency in general surgery, another residency in neurosurgery plus additional training in brain and spine surgeries for children. At Children’s, we have three board-certified neurosurgeons and work with other neurosurgery groups who perform surgery here.
- Surgical nurses, nurse practitioners and physician assistants care for children before, during and after surgery.
- Pediatric anesthesiologists are physicians who specialize in administering all types of anesthesia to babies, children and teens.
- Pediatric critical care specialists, or intensivists, are pediatricians who specialize in caring for children in intensive care settings. We have 23 board-certified pediatric intensivists at Children’s.
- Pediatric pain specialists are part of an interdisciplinary team of doctors, nurses, pharmacists and therapists who help manage kids’ pain and symptoms. Children’s is proud home to one of the largest pediatric pain programs in North America.
Through Children’s, you have access to just about every type of professional out there who can improve your child’s care and boost comfort. Our neurosurgery team works closely with neuropsychologists and psychologists, social workers, child life specialists and other experts to treat complex conditions and keep kids smiling. And we often team up with Children’s cancer program.
If you’re visiting the Children’s neuroscience center, keep an eye out for this key player:
Joseph Petronio, MD
Medical director of the neurosurgery program
See below for a list of our all-star cast of neurosurgeons. (Click on their names to read their profiles.)