Expertise in pediatric neurosurgery for still-developing brains
Backed by the largest team of pediatric neurosurgeons and the most sophisticated technology, Children’s cares for far more kids than any other program in the region.
Children’s pediatric neurosurgery program is the only one in the area that’s part of a comprehensive health system dedicated exclusively to children. That specialization matters: As experts in the complexities of children’s brains — works in progress — we tailor every aspect of care for our pediatric patients. From high-tech brain mapping to the latest minimally invasive techniques, we invest in kid-centered innovations to treat everything from epilepsy to tumors to spinal disorders.
Combining experience and innovation for better outcomes
We perform hundreds of surgeries each year on kids of all ages, from toddlers to teens to babies still in the womb. While pediatric neurosurgery is never routine — especially when it’s your child — Children’s combines surgical experience with sophisticated capabilities and a support team of hundreds to improve outcomes.
Our minimally invasive neurosurgery expertise and state-of-the-art diagnostics are especially helpful in treating epilepsy, concussions, hydrocephalus and others. With the help of highly sophisticated technology such as laser therapy and robotics, we can consider neurosurgery earlier in the treatment process, which can lead to faster recovery, less pain and greater effectiveness.
What sets Children’s apart in pediatric neurosurgery
When it comes to finding medical care for your child – especially when the brain and spinal cord are involved – trust is everything. We at Children’s Minnesota do all we can to earn your trust, with genuine, compassionate care, smart doctors and nurses, and the best-equipped program in the region. We are:
- The largest pediatric central nervous system (CNS) tumor program in Minnesota.
- The only pediatric hospital in the Midwest using an ultra-precise, MRI-guided laser interstitial thermal therapy (LITT) ablation system for brain tumor and epilepsy surgeries. This high-tech approach minimizes pain and speeds healing. Most kids are home within 24 hours.
- One of the only programs in the region to use a double-powered 3 Tesla MRI system to help the neurosurgery team map the anatomy and metabolic function of tumors and plan safer, more effective treatments.
- State-of-the-art robotic operating surgical assistant with advanced image-guided surgical planning capabilities that allows neurosurgeons to quickly perform precise brain surgery and procedures in a timely manner.
- Extremely precise, thanks to an intraoperative MRI that allows Children’s surgeons to remove tumors completely and safely, including some that other surgeons consider inoperable.
- Leaders in targeted epilepsy surgery aided by sEEG, subdural grid placement and magnetoencephalopathy.