Getting a second opinion on your child’s neurosurgical condition

The diagnosis of a condition which might require brain or spine surgery can be difficult and overwhelming. Seeking a second opinion can help you understand your options and help you make the best decision for your child.

Reasons to seek a second opinion

You can seek a second opinion after receiving the news that your child might need brain or spine surgery. Conditions such as hydrocephalus, brain or spine tumors, tethered spinal cords, and complex epilepsy often need neurosurgery. If your current physician, neurologist, or neurosurgeon has talked you through your options, a second opinion may increase your confidence in your diagnosis and treatment plan. Or, it could offer additional insight from our specialized team of pediatric neurosurgical experts. You are not required to transfer your care from your current physician if you seek a second opinion.

Request a second opinion from the neurosurgery team at Children’s Minnesota

To start, fill out and submit the second opinion request form.

What to expect after submitting the request form

One of our team members will call you within 1-2 business days of completing the form. During this initial phone call, we will discuss your child’s current health condition, reason for wanting to talk with us and schedule your first appointment. The first appointment may be virtual or in-person depending on the patient’s condition.

Frequently asked questions

How can I get a copy of the second opinion once it’s completed?

You will be signed up for our patient portal for viewing your second opinion recommendations.

Do I need to tell my current provider that I am getting a second opinion?

Telling your current provider is up to you, but most health care providers will support their patients’ right to a second opinion.

Do I need to provide current medical records?

We can help you to obtain any records needed for your second opinion. By law, your health care provider must provide your medical records upon request from you.

Can I receive care if I live outside of Minnesota?

It is required that all appointments occur within Minnesota or Wisconsin state lines. If virtual services are appropriate, you will need to be physically located within either state lines during your appointment time.

What should I do if I have more questions?

For any additional questions prior to filling out the second opinion form, please call 651-220-5230.