We know kids’ heads inside out
The neurology program at Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota offers some of the most complete brain and nervous system care you’ll find anywhere. From headaches to hereditary neuropathies, we diagnose and treat it all. We work closely with Children’s extensive specialist network to manage complex conditions and keep kids smiling.
Treating kids is our passion. And it shines through in everything we do.
From simple to complex, we’ve seen it all
The neurology program at Children’s treats all types of brain and nervous system conditions. We’re experts in everything from bumps and bruises to rare disorders. Some of the most common reasons kids come to the neurology program include:
- Brain and spinal cord tumors — Abnormal growths inside the skull or spinal canal that may be benign or cancerous
- Cerebral palsy — A central nervous system abnormality that affects posture, muscle tone and movement, usually beginning at birth
- Concussions and head injuries — Trauma to the head that interferes with brain function and sometimes results in long-term impairment
- Developmental delays — Late mastery of language, motor and self-help skills compared to children of the same age
- Developmental regression — Loss of previously mastered developmental skills like walking, talking or toileting
- Epilepsy and first time seizures — Temporary changes in awareness, movement, speech and behavior due to abnormal electrical activity in the brain
- Headaches — Head pain that’s severe, sudden, frequent and/or accompanied by vomiting or neurological symptoms
- Hydrocephalus – Excess cerebrospinal fluid in the fluid spaces of the brain
- Intellectual disabilities — Persistent difficulties with learning, social skills, self-care and other everyday tasks
- Neuromuscular disorders — Impaired signal transmission between the motor nerves and muscles that causes weakness, atrophy, loss of movement or involuntary muscle contractions
- Strokes — Decreased blood supply to the brain due to blockage or bleeding in a blood vessel
Care that goes above and beyond
At Children’s, we know you wouldn’t trust your kid’s brain to just anybody. Here are just a few reasons to rest easier, knowing you’re in good hands:
- One of the largest pediatric epilepsy program in the region — one of only a handful of Level 4 pediatric epilepsy centers nationwide.
- Largest brain and spinal (CNS) tumor program in Minnesota.
- Fully accredited pediatric diagnostic sleep lab — one of only 10 in the country.
- Only program in the region (and one of only 12 in the country) that offers advanced brain mapping using magnetoencephalography (MEG) and high-resolution MRI technology.
- Preeminent programs in the Upper Midwest for the care of children with tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) and chromosome 15 abnormalities. Services include comprehensive databases and “clinics without walls” that foster information exchange.
- Early-stage clinical trials conducted in partnership with Minnesota Epilepsy Group give you access to promising seizure medications first.
- Advanced surgical technologies like Visualase, 3 tesla-MRI, and intraoperative MRI increase success, reduce pain and speed recovery.
No matter how complex your child’s condition, all of his or her needs can be met right here at Children’s. Here are just a few of the resources at our fingertips:
- Behavioral health services
- Developmental pediatrics
- Craniofacial surgery
- Rehabilitation therapy programs– Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Speech-language therapy
- Support services
- Lab and Pathology
And as an organization dedicated to family-centered care, we offer many child and family services and resources, such as interpretive services.
Search over 1,100 members of Children’s clinical staff. Our directory includes physicians, dentists, oral surgeons, advanced practice registered nurses, psychologists, podiatrists, physician assistants, pharmacists, genetic counselors, and social workers. Find a doctor.