Grilled Veggie Pita
Note: Grill extra veggies at dinnertime so you’ll have some on hand for sandwiches and salads. They will keep refrigerated in a tightly sealed container for up to a week. Get an adult's help with the part of this recipe that requires a food processor.
Prep time: 5 minutes
What you need:
- 1/2 cup low-fat cream cheese or any other low-fat spreadable cheese
- 1 teaspoon chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 3-4 cups leftover grilled veggies (we like carrots, eggplant, and zucchini)
- 4 whole-wheat pitas
Equipment and supplies
- Food processor
- Butter knife (for spreading)
What to do:
- With an adult's help, place cream cheese and herbs into a food processor.
- Pulse until herbs are evenly distributed throughout cheese.
- Spread 1–2 tablespoons of herbed cream cheese onto the inside of each pita.
- Stuff each pita evenly with grilled veggies.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 260 calories
- 11g protein
- 7g fat
- 3.5g sat. fat
- 43g carbohydrate
- 7g fiber
- 15mg cholesterol
- 440mg sodium
- 7g sugars
Serving size: 1/2 pita
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com