Stir-Fry Fajita Chicken
Note: Get a grownup's help with this recipe, which requires using the oven/stove and chopping with a knife.
Prep time: 30 minutes
What you need:
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 pound of cooked chicken strips
- 1 pound squash, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 8 ounces frozen corn
- 4 ounces canned diced green chili pepper
- 4 ounces canned diced tomato (with juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Equipment and supplies:
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups/spoons
What to do:
- Prepare rice in advance.
- Add oil to skillet and heat on stovetop. Add onions to skillet and sauté until softened and translucent (you can kind of see through them).
- Add chicken and squash to onions.
- Stir-fry mixture until squash is barely tender.
- Add red pepper, corn, green chili, tomato, and spices.
- Mix and stir until well combined. Do not boil.
- Reduce heat and let mixture simmer 2-3 additional minutes. Don't overcook or you'll have stew, not a stir-fry!
- Serve each portion over ½ cup rice.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 360 calories
- 29g protein
- 9g fat
- 1.5g sat. fat
- 32g carbohydrate
- 5g fiber
- 65mg cholesterol
- 210mg sodium
- 6g sugars
Serving size:1 fajita
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2023 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com