Tuscan Smoked Turkey & Bean Soup
Note: Get a grownup's help with this recipe, which requires using the oven/stove and chopping with a knife.
Prep time: 1 hour
What you need:
- 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/3 cup carrots, diced
- 1-1/2 cups canned navy beans, no salt
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey, diced (½-inch pieces)
- 3-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 cups kale, trimmed (without stems)
- Salt (optional)
Equipment and supplies:
- Large stockpot
- Measuring cups/spoons
What to do:
- Saute celery, onions, and carrots in stockpot until softened.
- Drain and rinse navy beans.
- Place vegetables, turkey, and beans in stockpot.
- Add chicken stock, pepper, parsley, and thyme. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce burner to low heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cut fresh kale into small pieces and add to soup.
- Simmer an additional 10 minutes. Serve immediately. Salt to taste.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 80 calories
- 10g protein
- 1g fat
- 0g sat. fat
- 9g carbohydrate
- 2g fiber
- 15mg cholesterol
- 440mg sodium
- 2g sugars
Serving size:1/6 recipe
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com