Note: If you try this recipe, get a grownup's help because it requires using a knife and the stove.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cure time: At least 2 hours
What you need:
- 2 hothouse cucumbers
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cups white vinegar
- 1½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
Equipment and supplies:
- Knife and cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium saucepan
- 4 small Mason jars (or any jar/container with a tight-fitting lid)
What to do:
- Slice cucumbers into ¼-inch thick rounds.
- Combine vinegars, water, dill, and mustard seed in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes, then turn off heat.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Place cucumbers into jars, making sure to fill each jar almost all the way with cucumbers.
- Carefully pour pickling liquid over cucumbers until they are fully covered by the liquid.
- Put the lids onto each jar.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours (overnight is best).
How much does this recipe make? 4 jars of pickles
You can store unopened jars of pickles in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2017 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com