Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This is a quick and easy high-calorie meal for your next barbecue.
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 3 ounces ground beef
- 2 ounces ground sausage
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped finely
- 2 slices (2 ounces) cheddar cheese
- 2 slices cooked bacon
- 1 hamburger bun
- grill (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- mixing bowl
- meat thermometer
- Prepare grill or grill pan over stove.
- Combine beef, sausage, and onion and mix gently in a bowl.
- Form one patty about 1 inch thick. Make sure to wash hands thoroughly before and after handling raw meat!
- Grill patty about 5 inches from coals, about 6 minutes per side, until cooked throughout. You can use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature is at least 165 degrees F.
- Place cheddar cheese on patty and continue to cook for about 30 seconds before removing from the grill.
- Put bacon on top of the burger.
- Place the bacon cheeseburger into a hamburger bun.
Serving size: 1 hamburger
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
88 g fat
49 g protein
1615 mg sodium
491 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on the ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Serve with coleslaw and baked beans. Be sure to add your favorite condiments, such as mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, or barbecue sauce to provide additional taste and calories.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2017 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com