5-Minute Rice and Beans
Prep time: 5 minutes
What you need:
- 2 c. brown "minute" rice
- 2-12 c. canned black beans
- 1/2 of an avocado, diced
- 2 c. chopped bell pepper
- 4 tbs. chunky salsa
- 1 c. shredded romaine lettuce
What to do:
- Cook the rice according the package directions.
- Drain and rinse the canned black beans. Be sure not to skip this step; draining and rinsing canned beans can decrease their sodium content by 40%.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the cooked rice, beans, and salsa. Microwave for about 2 minutes or until warmed throughout.
- Stir in the avocado and bell pepper.
- Divide the mixture into 4 servings; place a scoop on top of shredded romaine lettuce and serve.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 290 calories
- 13g protein
- 4.5g fat
- 1g sat. fat
- 52g carbohydrate
- 13g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 140mg sodium
- 3g sugars
Serving Size: About 1-1/2 cups
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Fiber is a nutrient that can help ease the constipation commonly associated with pregnancy. Whole grains — like whole-wheat bread, whole-grain cereals, and brown rice — and fruits, vegetables, and legumes (beans, split peas, and lentils) are good sources of fiber.
Vitamin C plays an important role in tissue growth and repair and bone and tooth development. Vitamin C also helps the body absorb iron. Good sources of vitamin C include citrus fruits, broccoli, tomatoes, and fortified fruit juices.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2021 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com