Denver Omelet Sandwich
Prep time: 25 minutes
What you need:
- 4 slices extra-lean Canadian bacon
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 c. cleaned portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 c. chopped white onion
- 1/2 c. chopped green pepper
- 2 eggs
- 4 100% whole-wheat English muffins
What to do:
- Cook the Canadian bacon according to the package directions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add the mushrooms, onion, and green pepper, and cook until vegetables are soft.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs.
- Pour the beaten eggs into a skillet, then add the green pepper–onion–mushroom mix. Scramble and cook the mixture until the egg is fully cooked.
- To serve, place the egg scramble on the bottom half of an English muffin. Top with a slice of Canadian bacon and the other half of the English muffin.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 190 calories
- 12g protein
- 3.5g fat
- 1g sat. fat
- 27g carbohydrate
- 4g fiber
- 80mg cholesterol
- 420mg sodium
- 4g sugars
Serving size: 1 sandwich
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Protein helps build a baby's muscles, bones, and other tissues, especially in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. The recommended protein intake during the second half of pregnancy and while breastfeeding is 71 grams daily. Healthy sources of protein include lean meat, poultry, fish, beans, peanut butter, eggs, and tofu.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2019 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com