Berry French Toast
Prep time: 12 minutes
- 1 egg
- ¾ c. unsweetened soy milk
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- 4 slices 100% whole-wheat bread
- 1 c. fresh blueberries
- 1 c. fresh sliced strawberries
- 4 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Spray a large-sized skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix together the egg, soy milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- One by one, dip the bread slices into the egg mixture until both sides of the bread are coated.
- Place the coated bread slices on the skillet one at a time. Cook both sides, flipping when necessary, until both sides are brown and the egg is fully cooked.
- Place each cooked French toast slice on a plate and top each with blueberries, strawberries, and syrup to serve. (You can add more cinnamon at this point, if you'd like.)
Serving size: 1 slice of bread with fruit and syrup
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Fiber is a nutrient that can help ease the constipation commonly associated with pregnancy. Whole grains (like whole-wheat bread, whole-grain cereals, and brown rice) and fruits, vegetables, and legumes (beans, split peas, and lentils) are good sources of fiber.
Eating carbohydrates helps provide energy to support the growth and development of a baby and, after delivery, breastfeeding. The best sources of carbohydrates are whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, which also are good sources of fiber.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2017 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com