Teriyaki Turkey Burger
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb. 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- Dash of black pepper
- 2 tbsp. low-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp. water
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 4 100% whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 4 thin slices of a large tomato
- ½ c. fresh baby spinach
- Combine the ground turkey breast, garlic powder, and black pepper in a large bowl.
- Divide the turkey breast mixture into 4 equal-portioned patties — each about ½-inch thick.
- Combine the teriyaki sauce and water in a small bowl.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the patties to it; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the teriyaki sauce mixture to the skillet and carefully turn patties over; cook until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the burger reaches 160°F (70°C), about 3 minutes.
- To serve, place one patty on the bottom half of each bun and top with a tomato slice and spinach. Top the burger with the other half of the bun.
Serving size: 1 burger
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Protein helps build a baby's muscles, bones, and other tissues, especially in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. The recommended protein intake during the second half of pregnancy and while breastfeeding is 71 grams daily. Healthy sources of protein include lean meat, poultry, fish, beans, peanut butter, eggs, and tofu.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com