Note: This simple and healthy snack is designed especially for kids to make on their own.
When mom and dad are away, baking a pizza is not a good idea. But you can make a little pizza snack that can hit the spot!
- 1 6½" whole-wheat pita (cut in half to make 2 pockets)
- ¼ c. of pizza sauce
- ½ c. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz. turkey pepperoni or 2 slices of Canadian bacon
- 1 tbsp. measuring spoon
- ¼ c. measuring cup
- spoon for scooping and spreading sauce
- 1 microwave-safe plate
What mom or dad can do in advance:
- Open the jar or can of pizza sauce and close gently or cover with plastic wrap, respectively, so contents are easy to reach.
- Be sure the pitas are cut in half as they generally come as wholes.
- Be sure packages of mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and/or Canadian bacon are open or don't require cutting to open.
- Place each pita half (2 pockets) on a microwave-safe plate.
- Spoon 2 tbsp. pizza sauce into each half and spread around with spoon.
- Add slices of pepperoni or Canadian bacon.
- Measure ¼ cup of cheese and sprinkle into 1 pocket. Repeat for other pocket.
- Lay pocket flat on plate and place in microwave for about 30 seconds. Check to see if cheese is melted. If not, try another 15 seconds and recheck. You don’t want it to be too hot or it can burn your tongue.
- Remove and enjoy!
Serving size: 1 pocket (½ pita)
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
19 g protein
10 g fat
22 g carbohydrates
2 g fiber
52 mg cholesterol
1000 mg sodium (to reduce, use vegetables or lower-sodium meat as "topping")
219 mg calcium
3 mg iron
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com