Note: If you don't have quinoa, substitute brown rice or whole-wheat couscous, but be sure to adjust the cook time as needed.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
What you need:
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen chopped, mixed vegetables (such as peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
Equipment and supplies:
- Medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
What to do:
- Add vegetable stock or water to medium saucepan.
- Bring vegetable stock or water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in quinoa, salt, and pepper.
- Switch heat to low and cover pot with lid.
- Cook until water is evaporated and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in veggies with a fork.
- Place lid back on quinoa so that the heat from the quinoa cooks the vegetables.
- Serve immediately or place into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 190 calories
- 7g protein
- 2.5g fat
- 0g sat. fat
- 35g carbohydrate
- 5g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 320mg sodium
- 1g sugars
Serving size: 1 cup
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2020 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com