Roasted Root Vegetables
Celebrity chef Robert Irvine created this yummy alternative to mashed white potatoes. It's easy, nutritious, and high in fiber.
Prep Time: About 1 hour
What you need:
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 cup celery root, peeled and diced
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup new potatoes, diced
- 1 cup parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- a dash of kosher salt
- a dash of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Place all vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Add minced garlic, thyme, oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well and arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast in oven for 25–35 minutes until vegetables are carmelized and cooked through. Test by piercing with a fork.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 110 calories
- 2g protein
- 5g fat
- 0g sat. fat
- 16g carbohydrate
- 3g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 125mg sodium
- 3g sugars
Serving size: 1 cup
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2019 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com