Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad
Note: Add more chipotle if you like it super spicy or less if you prefer it milder.
Prep and cook time: 16 minutes
What you need:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 2 limes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ of one chipotle in adobo sauce, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- ½ cup corn
- 1 (15 oz.) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
Equipment and supplies:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Knife for chopping
- Grater for making zest
- Medium saucepan
- Large bowl
What to do:
- Place sweet potatoes into a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender, about 6 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Drain the water from the sweet potatoes and let them cool.
- While potatoes are cooking, make the dressing:
- Wash the limes, then use a fine grater to grate the zest (the green part of the peel only — don't include the bitter white pith under it) into the bowl. Squeeze the juice from the limes into the bowl (pick out any seeds that fall in with the juice!).
- Whisk together lime juice, zest, salt, pepper, honey, canola oil, and chipotle.
- Add the cooled potatoes, scallions, beans, corn, and cilantro. Toss gently.
- Serve at room temperature or refrigerate.
How much does this recipe make?
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2017 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com