Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad
Note: Add more chipotle if you like it super spicy or less if you prefer it milder.
Prep and cook time: 16 minutes
What you need:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 of one chipotle in adobo sauce, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 (15 oz.) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
Equipment and supplies:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Knife for chopping
- Grater for making zest
- Medium saucepan
- Large bowl
What to do:
- Place sweet potatoes into a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender, about 6 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Drain the water from the sweet potatoes and let them cool.
- While potatoes are cooking, make the dressing:
- Wash the limes, then use a fine grater to grate the zest (the green part of the peel only — don't include the bitter white pith under it) into the bowl. Squeeze the juice from the limes into the bowl (pick out any seeds that fall in with the juice!).
- Whisk together lime juice, zest, salt, pepper, honey, canola oil, and chipotle.
- Add the cooled potatoes, scallions, beans, corn, and cilantro. Toss gently.
- Serve at room temperature or refrigerate.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 240 calories
- 9g protein
- 6g fat
- 1g sat. fat
- 41g carbohydrate
- 10g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 260mg sodium
- 7g sugars
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2019 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com