Wild West Wrap
Prep time: 5-10 minutes (not including time for cooking chicken)
Recipe makes: 2 servings
What you need:
- 1 whole-wheat flour tortilla
- 4-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked in advance
- 1 ounce low-fat or fat-free cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 fresh tomato
- 1 tablespoon chunky salsa
Equipment and supplies:
- Baking sheet or shallow ovenproof dish for grilling or roasting chicken
- Cooking oil
- Knife and cutting board
- Cheese grater
What to do:
- To cook the chicken, spray it with cooking oil, place it on a baking sheet, and roast it in the oven at 350°F (177°C) until it's cooked all the way through. You'll know it's done if the chicken is no longer pink inside when you slice into it. Better still, test it using a meat thermometer — push the thermometer into the middle part of the chicken breast. The temperature should be at least 165°F (74°C).
- Let chicken cool. You can prepare the chicken a day or two in advance and keep it in the fridge.
- Shred the lettuce, cut up the tomato, and grate the cheese.
- Lay the tortilla on a clean preparation surface. Arrange the chicken, cheese, lettuce, and tomato evenly down the center of the tortilla. Spoon the salsa over the filling ingredients.
- Fold in the tortilla over one end of the filling, then roll up the tortilla tightly.
- Cut in half and serve.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 180 calories
- 19g protein
- 4.5g fat
- 1.5g sat. fat
- 16g carbohydrate
- 2g fiber
- 35mg cholesterol
- 350mg sodium
- 2g sugars
Serving size: 1/2 wrap
Tip: Some pre-shredded low-fat cheese can be high in sodium, so it's best to buy cheese as a solid piece and grate your own.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com