Prep time: 20-30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes, total
Chill time: 1 hour
Recipe makes: 4 kabobs (4 servings)
- ½ bunch of broccoli
- 12 cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ cucumber, peeled
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, thyme, oregano, chives, mint, or cilantro
- Salt substitute and pepper to taste
Equipment and supplies:
- Large pot
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Knife and cutting board
- Kabob skewers (wood or metal), 4 to 6 inches long
- Small bowl for mixing
- Remove the thick stem from the broccoli and separate the florets. Drop the florets into a pan of boiling salted water and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until they are just tender but still firm enough to put on a skewer. Drain and rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Cook the tortellini in boiling salted water until al dente (not too soft, still a little chewy). Drain and set aside to cool.
- Cut the red pepper and cucumber into 1-inch pieces. Arrange the pepper, cucumber, tortellini, broccoli, and tomatoes on 4 skewers, alternating the ingredients. Lay the kabobs on a tray or large plate.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients, seasoning to taste with salt substitute and pepper.
- Drizzle the sauce (or a favorite lite salad dressing) over the kabobs. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, turning the kabobs occasionally. Serve chilled.
Tip: Tortellini kabobs travel well when kept on their skewers, so they make a great packed lunch!
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2017 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com