Crock-Pot Turkey Meatballs and Sauce
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours
Recipe makes: 12–14 meatballs (6–7 servings)
What you need:
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 c. seasoned whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 tbs. Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbs. flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lb. ground white-meat turkey
- 1 can (28 ozs.) unsalted crushed tomatoes
- 2/3 c. water
- 2 tbs. unsalted tomato paste
- 1/2 c. basil, torn
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt substitute
Equipment and supplies:
- Small skillet
- Large mixing bowl
- 4–6 quart slow cooker
- If using pasta, a large pot for cooking
What to do:
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add in 1/3 of the chopped garlic and cook for 15 seconds. Pour garlic and oil into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, stir together remaining chopped garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, cheese, and parsley. Work ground turkey into the breadcrumb mixture using your hands until just combined. Do not over-mix or meatballs will be tough.
- Using a heaping tablespoon of turkey mixture, roll into balls.
- Put crushed tomatoes, water, tomato paste, basil, bay leaves, salt substitute, and pepper in the slow cooker. Stir. Gently place meatballs into the slow cooker and cover. Cook for 5 hours on the low setting.
- Cook your favorite pasta according to the instructions on the packet. Drain. Top ½ cup pasta with 2 meatballs and some sauce. The meatballs are also tasty on their own, without pasta.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 260 calories
- 26g protein
- 6g fat
- 1g sat. fat
- 28g carbohydrate
- 5g fiber
- 70mg cholesterol
- 400mg sodium
- 7g sugars
Serving size:2 meatballs over 1/2 cup cooked whole-wheat pasta
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2020 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com