Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Note: This recipe is suitable for those following a vegetarian (meat-free) diet, but includes ingredients that may not fit in with vegan or some other vegetarian diets.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
Recipe makes: 4 servings
- 1 large butternut squash (about 1½ lbs.)
- 1 medium Vidalia onion
- 3 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- ¾ c. low-sodium vegetable broth, plus more as needed (non-vegetarians can use chicken broth, if preferred)
- 2/3 c. skim milk
- salt substitute and pepper to taste (optional)
- fat-free sour cream or fat-free Greek yogurt for topping
Equipment and supplies:
- Knife and cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large bowl
- Large baking dish
- Blender or food processor
- Medium saucepan
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Carefully peel the squash (the skin is tough!) and cut it into 1-inch cubes. Peel the onion and cut it into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, toss together squash, onion, sage, and olive oil. Dump mixture into a large baking dish. Pour stock over vegetables and cover the baking dish with foil. Bake vegetables in the oven until they are tender when pierced with a fork — about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check the vegetables halfway through cooking to make sure there is still enough liquid in the pan to prevent scorching. If necessary, add more stock.
- Remove baking dish from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Remove sage leaves from baking dish and throw them away.
- Place the vegetable mixture into a heavy-duty blender or food processor and process until smooth, about 5 minutes. Slowly stream in skim milk and extra stock until you reach desired consistency. Pour mixture into a medium saucepan to reheat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with 1 tbsp. greek yogurt or sour cream.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com