Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 10-15 minutes
Recipe makes: about 12 muffins
- 2 small zucchini
- 2 cups whole-grain pancake or biscuit mix
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Equipment and supplies:
- 12-cup muffin tin (or two 6-cup tins) and paper cup liners
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large and medium mixing bowls
- Grater for shredding zucchini
- Wire cooling rack
- Wash zucchini and cut off ends.
- Shred zucchini using largest holes on grater.
- Wrap grated zucchini in a couple of paper towels and squeeze to remove water, then measure 1½ cups of zucchini.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix whole-grain pancake mix with spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, applesauce, and lemon juice.
- Fold the egg-sugar mixture and shredded zucchini into the pancake-spice mixture; do not overmix.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove muffins from tin and cool on a wire rack.
Tip: Don't peel the zucchini before shredding it for this recipe. It won't affect the taste and the peel will give you extra fiber.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com