Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: About 30 minutes
Recipe makes: 9 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Hot pepper sauce or red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- 1 can unsalted ("sodium free") crushed or diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (about 14 ounces each) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Salt substitute and pepper
Equipment and supplies:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Knife and cutting board
- Large cooking pot
- Heat the oil in a large cooking pot. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrot, celery, and red bell pepper. Cook until just tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cumin, chili powder, and hot pepper sauce or flakes (if using). Add the tomatoes with their juice and stir to mix. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the beans along with the corn. Continue simmering until the beans and corn are heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com