Pasta With Meat Sauce
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 to 3 hours
Recipe makes: 12 servings
- 2 pounds extra-lean ground beef
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 6 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon each of dried oregano, dried thyme, dried basil, dried rosemary, and paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- Salt substitute and pepper to taste
- 6 cups cooked whole-wheat penne (about 5 cups dry)
Equipment and Supplies:
- 2 large pots for cooking sauce and pasta
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Knife and cutting board
- Put the ground beef into a large pot on the stove over medium heat. Brown the beef, stirring to break up large lumps.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in the tomato paste, dried herbs, paprika, and bay leaves. Cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer gently on low heat for 2 to 3 hours.
- Season with salt substitute and pepper to taste.
- Cook the penne according to the package instructions and serve each portion of sauce over ½ cup cooked pasta.
Tip: This recipe is suitable for weight management because you measure the portions. If you're trying to lose weight, be sure to eat the recommended serving of ½ cup of pasta with ¾ cup of sauce. You can freeze leftover sauce or keep it for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com