Note: This recipe is especially for teens with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
The peppers, herbs and spices season the rice nicely. This fat free and lactose free side dish can be served with practically anything.
Prep time: 35 minutes
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- salt to taste (optional)
- Spray saucepan with nonstick butter spray.
- Sauté onion and garlic in saucepan until tender.
- Add rice, jalapeños, broth, and cumin to saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Add salt to taste (optional).
Serving size: approximately 2/3 cups (2 carbohydrate exchanges)
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
2 g protein
0 g fat
0 g sat fat
27 g carbohydrate
0 g fiber
0 mg cholesterol
375 mg sodium
8 mg calcium
1 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you would like this dish spicier, add more jalapeños. If you think this is too spicy, then put in only 1 tbsp. jalapeños. Serve with beans or meat.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2017 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com