Bathroom, Laundry, and Garage: Household Safety Checklist
- Is the thermostat on the hot water heater set below 120°F (49°C)?
- Are razor blades, nail scissors, and other sharp tools stored in a locked cabinet?
- Are childproof latches installed on all drawers and cabinets?
- Do the outlets have ground fault circuit interrupters (which protect against electrocution if an electrical appliance gets wet)? (If you live in an older home that may not be "up to code," have an electrician inspect your circuit breaker panel.)
- Are toilets always left closed? Is there a toilet-lid lock on the toilet?
- Are all hair dryers, curling irons, and electric razors unplugged when not in use?
- Are there nonskid strips on the bottoms of bathtubs?
- Are there nonslip pads under rugs to hold them securely to the floor?
- Are all prescription and nonprescription medicines, cosmetics, and cleaners stored in a locked cabinet? Are childproof caps on all medicines?
- Are bottles of mouthwash, perfumes, hair dyes, hair sprays, nail polishes, and nail polish removers stored in a locked cabinet?
Garage & Laundry Area
- Are all tools, products, and supplies used for auto maintenance, pool care, and gardening and lawn work stored safely away from children in a locked area?
- Are recycling containers storing glass and metal out of reach? Are garbage cans covered?
- Are all bleaches, detergents, and other cleaning products in their original containers and stored in a locked cabinet?
- Are laundry detergent pods out of sight and stored in a locked cabinet?
- Are laundry chutes locked with childproof locks?
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2017 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com