Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
Prep time: 25 minutes
What you need:
- 6 ounces ground beef, 70% lean
- 4 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 4 1-ounce slices whole-milk mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 hamburger buns
- 1/4 cup warm pizza sauce, store-bought or already prepared
What to do:
- Prepare grill.
- Combine first four ingredients in a bowl. Form into two patties about an inch thick.
- Grill patties about 5 inches from coals, about 6 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Top each burger with 2 slices of mozzarella about 30 seconds before removing burgers from the grill.
- Brush olive oil on the inside of each hamburger bun and lightly toast on grill until golden.
- Put 1/8 cup of warm pizza sauce on each hamburger bun, then place a burger on the bun.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 662 calories
- 32g protein
- 47g fat
- 790mg sodium
- 403mg calcium
Serving size: 1 burger patty with bun
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com