Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes, total (a few minutes for each batch of pancakes)
Recipe makes: 15 pancakes (5 servings)
- 1¼ cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup blueberries, rinsed
Equipment and supplies:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cooking spray
- Large and medium mixing bowls
- Large skillet or frying pan
- Spatula for flipping pancakes
- Sift the flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt into the medium bowl.
- Crack the eggs into the large bowl. Add the milk and oil. Whisk until everything is well mixed.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Whisk until blended to make a batter. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spray the pan with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Use a ½-cup measure to pour the batter into the pan. It will spread to make a pancake about 4 inches in diameter. Repeat so you're cooking 3 or 4 pancakes at a time, depending on the size of the pan. Cook until small bubbles appear on the top of the pancakes.
- Using the spatula, lift each pancake to see if it is light brown on the bottom. Flip each pancake over and cook for another minute or so until the pancakes are light brown on both sides.
- Serve hot with a little light syrup. You can keep the finished pancakes warm in the oven while you cook additional batches.
Tip: If you're a babysitter, this is a great recipe to make for kids. Because the pancakes contain milk and eggs, ask parents about any food allergies.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2017 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com