Alfredo Pesto Pasta
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
Prep time: 30 minutes
What you need:
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces fettucine, cooked
What to do:
- Finely chop basil, walnuts, and garlic in food processor.
- Gradually add olive oil while machine is running and process until smooth.
- Mix in 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Transfer the pesto to a small jar. (Pesto can be prepared 3 days in advance. Pour enough olive oil over sauce to cover. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Bring cream to slight boil in medium saucepan. Be careful not to burn the cream.
- Once cream begins to boil, whisk in pesto. Season sauce with remaining ¼ cup Parmesan in large bowl.
- Toss to coat pasta evenly and serve.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 1,048 calories
- 29g protein
- 64g fat
- 414mg sodium
- 371mg calcium
Serving size: 1-1/2 cups
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Consider adding chicken or shrimp to this dish to increase protein intake.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com