Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This mashed potatoes recipe is delicious! It's also packed with plenty of calcium to maximize bone density.
Prep time: 45 minutes
What to do:
- 4 cups prepared potatoes (homemade or instant)
- 1-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 9 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped finely
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 slices bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, bacon, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Place potato mixture in a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- To make the topping, place the melted butter, parmesan cheese, bacon, and bread crumbs in another bowl and mix well.
- Spread topping mixture over potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 365 calories
- 15g protein
- 24g fat
- 311mg calcium
- 896mg sodium
Serving size: 3/4 cup
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com