Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This mashed potatoes recipe is delicious! It's also packed with plenty of calcium to maximize bone density.
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 4 cups prepared potatoes (homemade or instant)
- 1½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese
- 9 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled
- ¼ cup onion, chopped finely
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 slices bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, bacon, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Place potato mixture in a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- To make the topping, place the melted butter, parmesan cheese, bacon, and bread crumbs in another bowl and mix well.
- Spread topping mixture over potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Serving size: ¾ cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
15 g protein
24 g fat
311 mg calcium
896 mg sodium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2017 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com