Chicken With Beans and Rice
Note: This recipe is especially for teens with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
This meal is a good source of protein and fiber. It tastes even better the next day!
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup red pepper, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons canned chipotle peppers, minced
- 16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and cut into bite-size pieces
- 15-ounce can low-sodium black beans, rinsed with water and drained
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked rice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat skillet and add olive oil.
- Add onion and cumin powder and sauté until onion is softened.
- Add chicken breast and toss to coat in oil, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add black beans, tomatoes, and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on top of stove for 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Serving size: 4 ounces of chicken and 1-1/3 cups of beans and rice mixture
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
2 g fat
1 g sat. fat
36 g protein
46 g carbohydrate
9 g fiber
66 mg cholesterol
558 mg sodium
58 mg calcium
3.8 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
This can be served with yellow or brown rice. Consider sprinkling soy cheddar cheese on top. You can substitute fresh hot green chile peppers or canned hot chile peppers for chipotle peppers.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com