Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Quiche
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who often need additional calories to help meet their nutritional needs.
This dish can be eaten for any meal of the day. And it freezes well!
Prep time: 60 minutes
- 9" pie crust
- 12 eggs
- ½ c. heavy cream
- 1 c. cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. broiled/pan-fried bacon
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (218ºC).
- Whisk eggs and cream in a medium mixing bowl until well blended.
- Stir cheese into egg mixture.
- Sprinkle bacon over pie crust.
- Pour egg mixture over bacon.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 325ºF (162ºC) and bake for approximately 35 minutes longer. Quiche is finished cooking when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the quiche cool for a few minutes before cutting.
Serving size: 1/6 of pie
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
23 g protein
48 g fat
723 mg sodium
209 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can use a variety of different cheeses. Try adding some vegetables, such as onions or spinach.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2023 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com