Kid-focused care, from anesthesia to zzzs
Anesthesiology is a medical specialty that parents rarely think about — until a child needs surgery, that is. Having access to the right anesthesia administered by the most experienced pediatric anesthesiologists can quickly become a top priority. That’s exactly what you’ll find at Children’s Minnesota.
We’re part of every surgery
The anesthesiology team helps babies, children and teens stay comfortable and safe during a wide range of procedures:
- Surgeries. The pediatric surgeons perform all kinds of kids’ surgeries, from appendectomies and hernia repairs to complex heart and brain procedures. Anesthesiologists and anesthetists are key players on every surgery team.
- Other invasive procedures. Anesthesiologists help make certain other procedures are more comfortable for kids as well. For example:
- Diagnostic tests, such as CT or MRI scans. These X-ray tests require stillness, so sometimes sedation is used to make the process easier for the child.
And we can adapt to just about anything
When it comes to kids’ anesthesia, one type doesn’t fit all. So an array of anesthesia services is offered to suit every need:
- General anesthesia helps children sleep deeply and feel no pain during surgery. Children’s has an outstanding pre-surgery program to help kids and parents prepare for the experience, which reduces anxiety for the whole family.
- Regional anesthesia, also called a nerve block, uses an injection near a cluster of nerves to numb a region of the body during surgery. At Children’s, pediatric anesthesiologists are also available to consult when kids need a nerve block for pain control at other times.
- Intravenous (IV) sedation involves giving kids medicine through a vein to help them relax or sleep for a procedure. At Children’s, we use techniques that are carefully tailored to each child’s specific needs.
And as an organization dedicated to family-centered care, we offer many child and family services and resources, such as interpreter services.