What happens if my child has a hearing loss?

Some hearing disorders are medically or surgically correctable if they are caused by certain middle or outer ear problems; this will be determined by an ear, nose, and throat doctor. Permanent hearing disorders of the inner ear can be managed with hearing aids and/or other assistive listening devices available through an audiologist.

If a hearing loss is found, your child will be referred to an ear, nose, and throat doctor for further medical evaluation to try to determine if there is any clear cause for the hearing loss. Your audiologist will also discuss with you a treatment plan and any follow-up that will be needed to effectively manage the loss.

The audiologist will:

  • monitor the hearing loss
  • provide counseling to you and your family regarding the hearing loss
  • discuss ways to maximize the use of residual hearing
  • refer your child for additional language or developmental assessments if needed
  • recommend and fit hearing aids when appropriate
  • direct you to community resources for educational or financial assistance
  • discuss the option of a cochlear implant if your child has a severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss in both ears