Note: Nicole Medina of Florida was invited to the White House because she won a national healthy recipe contest for creating this heart-healthy recipe. (If you try this recipe, get a grownup's help because it requires using a knife and the stove.)
Prep time: 25 minutes
What you need:
- Juice from 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) skinless salmon fillet
- ¼ cup whole-wheat linguine
- 6 asparagus spears, chopped
- ½ cup diced red pepper
- ¼ medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, stems removed, and leaves chopped
- 2 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated pecorino cheese
Equipment and supplies:
- Medium pan
- Medium pot
- Pasta drainer
What to do:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, 1 teaspoon olive oil, honey, and mustard.
- In a medium sauté pan over moderate heat, warm 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Add the salmon and cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip the salmon over, add the orange sauce, and continue to cook until the salmon is golden and cooked through, about 4 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a plate.
- In a medium pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente, about 5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and red pepper and continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Drain the pasta and veggies, and transfer to a bowl.
- In a medium sauté pan over moderate heat, warm the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, parsley, and basil and sauté, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic mixture to the pasta.
- Sprinkle the cheese, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
- Serve the salmon alongside the pasta and veggies.
How much does this recipe make? 2 servings
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2017 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com