Note: Isabella Gross of Nevada was invited to the White House because she won a national healthy recipe contest for creating this gluten-free recipe. (If you try this recipe, get a grownup's help because it requires using a knife, the stove, and the oven.)
Prep time: 50 minutes
What you need:
- 1 cup gluten-free corn cereal, such as Chex
- ¼ cup gluten-free baked veggie chips (chili limon flavor works well)
- ¼ cup pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground lemon pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, halved
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into half moons
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into half moons
- ½ cup sliced carrots
Equipment and supplies:
- Large bowl
- Small bowl
- Baking dish
- Small saucepan
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a large bowl, stir together the cereal, veggie chips, pecans, and lemon pepper. Smash and combine the cereal mixture.
- Place the egg whites in a small bowl.
- Working with 1 piece at a time, dip the chicken into the cereal mixture then dip it into the egg whites, then back into the cereal mixture, making sure all of the chicken is covered. Transfer the "breaded" chicken to a baking dish and repeat with the remaining chicken, cereal mixture, and egg whites.
- Bake the chicken until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the squash, zucchini, and carrots and simmer, lowering the heat if necessary, until tender, about 7 minutes. Serve the veggies with the chicken.
How much does this recipe make? 2 servings
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com