Hawaiian Turkey Sliders
Note: Goldie Siegel of New Jersey was invited to the White House because she won a national healthy recipe contest for creating this recipe that contains no dairy, eggs, nuts, or gluten. (If you try this recipe, get a grownup's help because it requires using a knife and the grill.)
Prep time: 30 minutes
What you need:
For the mango-pineapple salsa:
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced fresh (or canned in juice) pineapple
- 1 to 2 small jalapeños, finely diced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons diced Bermuda or Vidalia onion
- Juice of 1 medium lime
- Pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Hawaiian turkey sliders:
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash of salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 romaine or Bibb lettuce leaves
- 12 gluten-free rolls or whole-grain dinner rolls
Equipment and supplies:
- Medium bowl
- Large bowl
What to do:
Make the mango-pineapple salsa:
- In a medium non-metallic bowl, stir together the mango, pineapple, jalapeños, onion, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use. (The salsa is best when made several hours to one day in advance.)
Make the Hawaiian turkey sliders:
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, garlic, ketchup, olive oil, soy sauce, cilantro, onion powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Gently mix the ingredients until they are thoroughly combined.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal parts and shape each one into a ball that is slightly smaller than a tennis ball. Using the palm of your hand, gently flatten each into a patty.
- Heat a grill or barbecue to medium-high heat. Grill the turkey sliders until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Place one lettuce leaf on the bottom of each roll. Serve the sliders on the rolls, topped with a dollop of mango-pineapple salsa.
How much does this recipe make? 12 sliders
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com