Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Quiche
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs. Get a grownup's help because it requires using the oven.
This dish can be eaten for any meal of the day. And it freezes well!
Prep time: 1 hour
What you need:
- 9" pie crust
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces broiled/pan-fried bacon, chopped
- measuring cup
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (218ºC).
- Whisk eggs and cream in a medium mixing bowl until well blended.
- Stir cheese into egg mixture.
- Sprinkle bacon over pie crust.
- Pour egg mixture over bacon.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 325º F (162ºC) and bake for approximately 35 minutes longer. Quiche is finished cooking when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the quiche cool for a few minutes before cutting.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 577 calories
- 23g protein
- 48g fat
- 723mg sodium
Serving size: 1/6 of pie
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can use a variety of different cheeses. Try adding some vegetables, such as onions or spinach.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2020 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com