Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This protein-packed side dish is perfect for a holiday barbecue.
Prep time: 2 hours, 20 minutes (including cooking time)
What you need:
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices cooked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 16-ounce can of pork and beans
- stove (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- 1-1/2-quart baking dish
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
What to do:
- In baking dish, combine all ingredients. Do not drain beans.
- Bake uncovered at 325ºF (162ºC) for 2 hours.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 378 calories
- 22g fat
- 10g protein
- 896mg sodium
Serving size: 3/4 cup
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2020 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com