Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs. Get a grownup's help because it requires using the oven.
This dish is packed with calories and can be served as a meal or with vegetables.
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup beef gravy
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 cup high-calorie mashed potatoes, prepared
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (176ºC).
- Heat skillet and add 1 teaspoon oil. Add mushrooms, garlic, and onions and sauté until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to bowl.
- Cook beef until brown in skillet over medium heat, approximately 8 minutes.
- Add flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add sauteed vegetable mixture, gravy, carrot, Worcestershire, and marjoram..
- Simmer for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon beef mixture into a small baking dish or two oven-safe bowls.
- Spoon mashed potatoes over top of beef mixture.
- Bake until heated through and golden brown, approximately 25 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Serving size: 1-1/4 cups
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 922 calories
- 34 g protein
- 72 g fat
- 931 mg sodium
- 111 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com