Prep time: about 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp. yeast
- ½ c. warm water
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1-1/3 c. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- small bowl
- mixing spoon
- medium-size bowl
- cutting board, sprinkled with flour
- baking sheet, sprayed with nonstick spray
- measuring cups and spoons
- Preheat the oven to 325° Fahrenheit (165° Celsius).
- Put the yeast in a small bowl with the water and honey. Stir a little, then let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix the flour and salt together in a medium bowl.
- After the 5 minutes is up, check on the yeast mixture. It should be bigger than before and a little bubbly. Add this mixture to the flour and salt mixture.
- Stir everything together. Use a spoon to start. Finish with your hands. The dough is ready when it's still a little crumbly and flaky.
- Put the dough on the cutting board and knead it like you are playing with clay. Knead it into one big ball.
- Break off a piece of dough that's about the size of a big gumball or superball. Use your hands to roll it into a skinny snake.
- Twist the snake into a medium-size pretzel shape, and put it on the cookie sheet. Do this with all the dough, making 12 pretzels.
- Bake your pretzels for 10 minutes. Let them cool and take a bite!
Serving size: 1 pretzel
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
1 g protein
0 g fat
12 g carbohydrate
0 g fiber
0 mg cholesterol
192 mg sodium
2 mg calcium
0.7 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com