Mexican Chicken and Rice
Note: This recipe is especially for kids with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
You can still enjoy cheesy Mexican dishes by using lactose-free soy cheese. You'll be surprised at how well the soy cheese melts.
Prep time: 40 minutes
- 2 6-ounce chicken breasts without skin
- 2 ounces jalapeño Jack soy cheese
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 2/3 cup rice, cooked
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- knife (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- oven-safe baking dish
- small saucepan
- measuring spoons
- Trim all fat from chicken breast.
- Place chicken breast in an oven-safe baking dish.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top of the chicken.
- Cook chicken at 375°F (190°C) for 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- In a small saucepan, combine tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, cilantro, minced garlic, and onion. Simmer over low heat until chicken is ready to be served (about 30 minutes).
- Remove baking dish from oven and put 1 ounce soy cheese on each piece of chicken. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Serve chicken and rice with tomato sauce drizzled over the top.
Serving size: 1 chicken breast, 1/3 cup of rice, and ½ cup of sauce
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
8 g fat
1 g sat. fat
40 g protein
39 g carbohydrate
1 g fiber
78 mg cholesterol
1240 mg sodium
370 mg calcium
3.9 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Consider using low-sodium tomato sauce. Add green chilis or hot peppers to add more heat to your dish.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2017 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com