Italian Vegetable Casserole
Note: This recipe is especially for kids with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
This is a quick and easy way to add a vegetable serving to your daily meal plan.
Prep time: 25 minutes
What you need:
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup fat-free Italian dressing
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup soy parmesan cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- knife (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- 2-quart covered casserole dish (microwave safe)
- microwave (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- measuring cup
What to do:
- Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix vegetables and dressing together in the casserole dish.
- Cook vegetables in microwave for 10 minutes, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese onto the vegetables.
- Serve vegetables over rice.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 165 calories
- 7g protein
- 2g fat
- 0g sat. fat
- 31g carbohydrate
- 4g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 278mg sodium
- 117mg calcium
- 1.4mg iron
Serving size: 1 cup vegetables and 1/2 cup rice
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You also can serve this dish over pasta. If you would like to make it extra cheesy, add soy mozzarella to the vegetables.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2019 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com