Wiggly Fruit Squares
Note: This simple and healthy snack is designed especially for kids to make on their own.
This one's good to make right after breakfast so it will be ready for eating by mid-day.
- 3 packages (3-oz. size) of sugar-free gelatin in your favorite flavor
- 4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1-2 c. of chopped fruit or 1 8-oz. can fruit in natural juices (drained)
- 4 c. of water
- 9x13" baking pan
- microwave-safe 2-cup liquid measuring cup
- large mixing bowl
- blunt knife
What mom or dad can do in advance:
- Chop up fresh fruit and place in zip-lock bag or open can of fruit and drain.
- Get out baking pan, measuring cup, mixing bowl, and blunt knife (like a butter knife) or cookie cutters.
- Empty packets of flavored and unflavored gelatin into a bowl.
- In a separate microwave-safe container, heat 2 cups of water in microwave for 3 minutes. (Careful! It will be HOT!)
- Add hot water to powder and mix until completely dissolved.
- Now add 1 cup of cold water to measuring cup and add ice cubes until the water reaches the 2-cup mark. Pour the ice water into the dissolved gelatin mixture and stir until all the ice is dissolved.
- Now pour the entire mixture into the baking pan.
- Add chopped fruit by sprinkling it over the whole pan.
- Place the pan in the refrigerator and leave until everything hardens (usually 2-3 hours).
- Remove from refrigerator and cut into squares with dull knife or shapes with cookie cutters.
Serving size: 3"x3" square (will vary if cookie cutters are used)
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
2 g protein
0 g fat
3 g carbohydrates
0 mg cholesterol
45 mg sodium
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2021 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com