Baked Salmon Sticks With Creamy Lemon-Dill Dip
Note: This recipe is especially for kids with diabetes, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 40 minutes
What you need:
Salmon stick ingredients:
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-pound skinless salmon fillet, cut into ½-inch strips
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- juice and zest of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with a cooking rack and spray generously with cooking spray. If you don't have a cooking rack, line a baking sheet with parchment paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk or beat egg whites until they are light and foamy. In another large bowl, stir together the panko breadcrumbs, parsley, parmesan cheese, and pepper. Dip each salmon stick into the egg whites and then press into the crumb mixture, making sure the crumbs coat the salmon.
- Place salmon strips onto prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While salmon is baking, make the dip: In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, and dill.
- Serve salmon sticks warm with a small amount of dipping sauce.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 270 calories
- 30g protein
- 7g fat
- 2g sat. fat
- 19g carbohydrate
- 3g fiber
- 60mg cholesterol
- 350mg sodium
- 3g sugars
Serving size: 198g
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2019 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com