Bacon Mushroom Chicken
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids and teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This creamy chicken dish has a wonderful taste of bacon and garlic.
Prep time: 1 hour
- 2 4-ounce chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 thick slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (176ºC).
- Pour melted butter and minced garlic in a 9"x13" baking dish.
- Add chicken and coat gently in butter-garlic mixture.
- Place two slices of bacon on top of each piece of chicken.
- Put mushrooms on top of the chicken and bacon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle (has reached an internal temperature of 165ºF/75ºC) .
- Remove baking dish from the oven and put cheddar cheese on top of the chicken.
- Return baking dish to the oven and cook for an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Remove chicken and place on a platter. Pour juices from baking dish into small saucepan and whisk together with cream over low heat until thickened.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve warm.
Serving size: 1 chicken breast
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 824 calories
- 72 g fat
- 30 g protein
- 813 mg sodium
- 153 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Serve with a creamy pasta dish or scalloped potatoes.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2017 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com