Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids and teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This meal is easy to make. Add extra sour cream for even more calories.
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces beef tips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 package ramen noodles, beef flavor
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Mix 1/3 cup water and flour and set aside.
- Cook meat and mushrooms in a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon butter until meat is no longer pink.
- Add 1/3 cup water and beef seasoning packet (from the ramen noodles) to the saucepan and simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, cook noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles well. Add 2 tablespoons butter to noodles and set aside.
- Pour flour-water mixture into saucepan with beef mixture. This will thicken very quickly!
- Add sour cream and stir until mixture is smooth. If too runny, add more flour-water mixture and if too thick, add more sour cream.
- Serve noodles with stroganoff mixture over the top.
Serving size: 1-3/4 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 504 calories
- 18 g protein
- 37 g fat
- 588 mg sodium
- 40 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you don't have beef tips, use hamburger meat. You also can use canned mushrooms if you don't have fresh mushrooms available.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2017 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com