Prep time: about 40 minutes
What you need:
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup corn (fresh, canned, or frozen if it's taken out of the freezer ahead of time and soft)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C).
- Put all the ingredients, except for the corn, into a large bowl.
- Beat all the ingredients together with a big wooden spoon. The mixture should be smooth.
- Stir in the corn and mix.
- Pour the mixture into baking pan coated with shortening or nonstick spray.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the cornbread is light brown on top.
- Remove bread from the oven, cut it into 9 pieces with a knife, and serve warm.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 226 calories
- 5g protein
- 7g fat
- 30g carbohydrate
- 1g fiber
- 48mg cholesterol
- 376mg sodium
- 77mg calcium
- 1.5mg iron
Serving size: 1 piece
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2020 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com