Note: This recipe is especially for kids with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
The peppers, herbs, and spices season the rice nicely. This fat-free and lactose-free side dish can be served with practically anything.
Prep time: 35 minutes
What you need:
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- salt to taste (optional)
What to do:
- Spray saucepan with nonstick butter spray.
- Sauté onion and garlic in saucepan until tender.
- Add rice, jalapeños, broth, and cumin to saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Add salt to taste (optional).
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 119 calories
- 2g protein
- 0g fat
- 0g sat fat
- 27g carbohydrate
- 0g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 375mg sodium
- 8mg calcium
- 1mg iron
Serving size: approximately 2/3 cups (2 carbohydrate exchanges)
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you would like this dish spicier, add more jalapeños. If you think this is too spicy, use only 1 tablespoon jalapeños. Serve with beans or meat.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2023 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com