Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who need to consume additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This meal is easy to make. Add extra sour cream for even more calories.
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 2-2/3 c. water
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 8 oz. beef tips
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 c. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 package ramen noodles, beef flavor
- 1/3 c. sour cream
- Mix 1/3 cup water and flour and set aside.
- Cook meat and mushrooms in a small saucepan with 1 tbsp. butter until meat is no longer pink.
- Add 1/3 cup water and beef seasoning packet (from the ramen noodles) to the saucepan and simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, cook noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles well. Add 2 tbsp. butter to noodles and set aside.
- Pour flour-water mixture into saucepan with beef mixture. Be aware that this will thicken very quickly.
- Add sour cream and stir until mixture is smooth. If too runny, add more flour-water mixture and if too thick, add more sour cream.
- Serve noodles with stroganoff mixture over the top.
Serving size: 1¾ cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
18 g protein
37 g fat
588 mg sodium
40 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you don't have beef tips, use hamburger meat. You can also used canned mushrooms if you don't have fresh mushrooms available.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2019 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com